Friday 17 August 2007

cacio e pepe

Cacio e Pepe is a delicious and simple recipe from Rome that comprises just three ingredients: pasta, pepper and pecorino romano (an Italian sheep's milk cheese).

I discovered this recipe on Orchidea’s food blog Viaggi & Sappori so this is both a Recipe Road Test and my first entry in Presto Pasta Night, a weekly event founded by Ruth from Once Upon A Feast.

Cacio e Pepe
Orchidea’s recipe.
Ingredients:
Pasta
2 ½ tablespoons Pecorino Romano, per person
½ teaspoon freshly milled black pepper, per person
Cooking water
Method:
1. Cook pasta al dente.
2. Grate Pecorino Romano and add black pepper.
3. When pasta is cooked, strain it and reserve some of the cooking water.
4. Quickly sprinkle pasta with Pecorino and pepper, adding hot cooking water to melt the cheese and form a creamy sauce.
Anna’s Variations: I increased the amounts of cheese, because that’s what I always do.

Jonas and I both really enjoy this recipe. It’s fast to make and even better it’s something you can eat when you get home from work and discover there’s nothing in the fridge.



Tags:

7 comments:

  1. It looks glorious. I wonder if I can eat some for breakfast ;-)

    Thanks so much for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights. Next week is the big six month celebration. I do hope you can come to the party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so wonderful. (Love your cheese philosophy!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks fantastic! I can make it in theory - can't get Pecorino but, sigh, I'll just have to experiment with other cheeses...such a hardship! I always add more cheese, too. Somethings things are just 'more-ish'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice... your cacio e pepe looks absolutely prefect... and I am sure very good too.
    Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ruth - it would be pretty good for breakfast. congrats on six months!

    kalyn - yes, the more cheese the better!

    katiez - perhaps another hard sheeps' milk cheese with a slight salty bite?

    orchidea - thanks, but i learnt from the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great looking dish and perfect for a quick dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great recipe for a family that is hungry as well as on a budget...thanks for sharing something so tasty...

    Andy
    www.recipebuddys.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for saying hello. It's great to know there are people out there in cyberspace!

Related Posts with Thumbnails