Saturday, 23 December 2006
There has been a lot of truffle activity on the gastronomic blogosphere with the recent truffle themed Sugar High Friday, so I decided to do my bit and whip up some of my own.
Dark chocolate and raspberries are one of my favourite pairings, their only real competition being dark chocolate and orange. But when raspberries came down from AUD$7.99 for 150g to AUD$3.99, I immediately pounced upon the opportunity and bought myself a punnet.
Jonas simply cannot believe the price of raspberries and blueberries in Australia. In Sweden they grow as weeds on the side of the road but here, in this warm country, berries are astronomically expensive and raspberries, currants and blackberries are probably among the most prized.
With a pretty punnet of dusty red raspberries, I set about making some truffles for petit fours and as a birthday gift for a friend.
Chocolate Raspberry Truffles
Recipe from Gourmet Traveller ‘December 2006’ issue. Makes 60.
200ml pouring cream
600g dark chocolate (57% cocoa solids)
1. Chop or shave chocolate into very fine pieces.
2. Combine cream, Framboise and 200g of raspberries in a saucepan and bring to the boil over a medium-high heat. Process in a food processor then pass through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan.
3. Clean food processor and add chocolate.
4. Bring raspberry mixture to the boil and, with food processor motor running, pour over chocolate. Process until smooth.
5. Pour half the chocolate mixture into a paper lined baking tray (20cm x 30cm). Scatter with remaining 100g of raspberries and top with remaining chocolate mixture. Smooth top and refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight until set.
6. Using a warm, sharp knife, cut truffles into cubes and dust with cocoa.
Note: They can keep in the fridge (in an airtight container) for up to 1 month.
Anna’s Variation: I used chocolate with 70% cocoa solid so it took on a rich bitterness. Jonas told me the recipe wasn’t as sweet as he prefers. If you prefer sweeter chocolate treats use lower level cocoa solids or dissolve in some super fine sugar when you melt the chocolate.
Tags: morsels and musings food blog food and drink australia recipes truffles chocolate truffles raspberry raspberries chocolate chocolate recipes dessert candy sweets petit fours